by tonytran2015 (Melbourne, Australia).
#Uranium, #Uranium deposit, #Bauxite, #Vietnam, #Vietnam war, #BP, #British Petroleum, #America, #France,
Intriguing, on going story on Uranium in Vietnam beginning from the War.
1. Strange story.
In 1996 I met an old British/Australian man (80+ years old at that time) in Melbourne. He asked me if I knew what caused American involvement in Vietnam war.
My conventional answers were given, but he said they are all incorrect. He said the real reason was Uranium deposits in Vietnam! I replied that I had heard of that rumour since 1960 in Vietnam but there was little reason to trust it and I thought that it was only from an anti-American misinformation campaign.
He then said that he was working for BP after WW2 and was the man in charge of prospecting for Uranium in Vietnam. He said that because of Uranium, the French got American to join their side in the French Colonial war. He said that his mission after WW2 in Vietnam was called off when he received a telegram saying that the mission was terminated because of the discovery of a huge deposit of Uranium in Australia.
I politely conversed with him but thought that he was only a self-important man trying to make a fool out of me. That night, I still used the internet to make independent verification of the details of his story. I was taken aback as things fall into places to confirm every detail of his story:
1. British Petroleum had been in the business of prospecting for Uranium.
2. The year of his termination of the mission does fit in nicely with the official declaration of the discovery of huge Uranium deposits in Australia.
3. In 1990 to 1992, the Department of Natural Resources of Socialist Republic of Vietnam declared that Vietnam has a HUGE Uranium deposit. They are low grade, concentrating in many areas, including in Nong Son (where low grade coal had been mined by Republic of (South) Vietnam. The Socialist Republic of Vietnam had later commissioned a Canadian Uranium mining company to assess the ore deposits.
2. Intriguing events.
The story fits well with:
1. The declaration in 1990 (from 1990 to 1994, the exact date I can’t remember) by SRV that it has huge amount of Uranium ore.
2. Currently there is a non-transparent, military styled, uneconomical mining of (rumored to be) BLACK bauxite (bauxite is usually yellow brown or tan, China has been buying bauxite from Australia at dirt cheap price) by Chinese operator in Lâm Đồng area in VN (going through the purpose built Kê Gà sea port and its purpose built routes) and the Vietnamese government currently does not have any mention of its past declaration of huge Uranium deposits. (There may be a secret cooperation between USA and China to quietly take all Uranium deposits out of Vietnam without any approval by Vietnamese people, who are the ultimate owners of territorial minerals).
3. American have brought into Vietnam many Geiger counters prior to 1974. What are they for unless they are used for prospecting or for picking up equipment associated with Nuclear weapon?
4. Before the Vietnam war ended on 30th April 1975. American personals had already removed their Uranium bars at the Research Nuclear Reactor in Dalat built by USA (for its former ally Republic of Vietnam, as an example of unreserved commitment to the future of RVN). However, USA tried its best to persuade SRV to have permission for coming back to Dalat to look for any misplaced Uranium bars ! How could it happen and who had been responsible for such a sloppy accounting procedures of Uranium bars? Anyway, the SRV agreed to let USA come back to the reactor to search for their misplaced Uranium bars but nothing was found. As a result of that cooperation, there was relaxation on the embargo by the US against SRV (The real reason may be to check if SRV has fed any of its own Uranium into the Nuclear Reactor).
5. Later on, there was a rare cooperation in Vietnam between USA and Russia to convert the Dalat Nuclear Reactor into a new type using lower-enriched Uranium and to arrange for a shipment of some spent Uranium out of Vietnam. As a result of that cooperation, Vietnam was given a time limited committee position on a UN Nuclear Commission and the US embargo against SRV was dismantled.
6. USA has shown the World that it could fabricate a cause for war against any middle country such as Iraq and to attack. SRV had done well to comply with the requests from USA.
7. There is currently an unusual freezing of relationship between two comrade in arms Socialist Republic of Vietnam and North Korea. It was NK who sent its best MIG fighter ace pilots to help North VN during the Vietnam war, some of its fighters actually had Died In Action. Their remains had been placed in a Temple for North Korean Heroic Fighters in North Vietnam but later quietly repatriated to NK around the year 2000. In contrast with China, NK had asked for neither territory nor payments for joining NVN in the war. There was no reason for such a freeze in the relation between two communist comrade countries. Is this unsual freeze part of an international plan to separate a Nuclear Capable State North Korea from an Uranium rich State Socialist Republic of VN?
This is an unusual story but it brings up many hypotheses which can explain otherwise incomprehensible events.
Social Issues Blogs, Understanding Allying to Distant Powers to Subjugate Immediate Neighbours, Understanding the Strike then Consolate Tactic , Understanding China’s Perpetual Wars against its neighbours ,
Click here for my other blogs