trillion-dollar Belt and Road Initiative is a global infrastructure
push aiming to recreate the glory days of China’s ancient Silk Road
non-legally binding agreement allows Victorian infrastructure experts
to get access to the hundreds of billions of dollars of projects slated
for the Belt and Road
- Victoria’s Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien says the initiative will be off the table if he is elected in 2022
In a statement issued on Saturday morning, Michael O’Brien said the decision was not made lightly but the deal was “not in Victoria’s
“It doesn’t support our sovereignty, our security or our jobs,” he said.
“Daniel Andrews’ dud deal has failed to advance Victoria’s interests.”
China’s trillion-dollar Belt and Road Initiative is a global infrastructure
push aiming to recreate the glory days of China’s ancient Silk Road trade routes.
The highly controversial scheme has been panned by many Western democracies, including Australia.
But Victoria has gone it alone on signing up to the infrastructure initiative, with Premier Daniel Andrews inking a Memorandum of Understanding with China in 2018 and committing to deepen the state’s involvement in 2019.
Mr O’Brien said while Chinese Government-owned companies had been given
contracts to build projects such as the Metro Tunnel and West Gate Tunnel, Victorian farmers had been “slugged by a punitive 80 per cent tariff on barley exports to China”.