Vietnam War – A Decent Interval / Who Lost Vietnam??

Vietnam War – A Decent Interval / Who Lost Vietnam??

Click here for a full, up to date ORIGINAL ARTICLE and to help fighting the stealing of readers’ traffic.

(Blog No.3xx).

#

Comment by tonytran2015: “Those who don’t learn from history ate condemned to repeat it.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/vietnam2-decent-interval.htm

…The debate over whether Nixon’s “plan” sought only a “decent interval” or whether “Vietnamization” envisioned long-term survival of an independent South Vietnam, remains unresolved.

Former policymakers and historians continue to argue the evidence. Some argued that at best the war was stalemated. Finessing Vietnam to deal directly with Russia and China was not going to be easy, but some suggested that victory was still possible. Above all, Nixon feared he could not control the political situation if he admitted the war had been a mistake or a tragedy of missed signals. Little wonder he played his cards very close to his vest. In July 1969, Nixon spoke at an air base on the Island of Guam, announcing a new “doctrine” that muffled the sound of clacking dominos. “As far as our role is concerned,” he said of the future, “we must avoid the kind of policy that will make countries in Asia so dependent upon us that we are dragged into conflicts such as the one we have in Vietnam.”…

Both sides realized that it would lead to a Communist military victory. Thieu was certain the settlement — which, among other things, would leave 145,000 North Vietnamese troops (Thieu said 300,000) in the South — meant defeat. It would, he told Haig, “culminate in the ultimate collapse of the government of South Vietnam.”

… March 1973, Moorer concluded that the President only needed South Vietnam “to remain viable for perhaps a year, then he could say we gave them everything and they could not handle it.”

… In March 1975 a number of bills were introduced in the US Congress providing that no supplemental military appropriations be made in this fiscal year to South Vietnam or Cambodia

… On 12 March, the day after Ban Me Thuot surrendered, the House of Representatives rejected the supplemental request.

… On April 10, 1975, President Ford asked Congress for $722 million … and … $250 million for … aid for South Vietnam. Speaking to the Congress, Ford said

…The North Vietnamese, from the moment they signed the Paris accords, systematically violated the cease-fire and other provisions of that agreement.., the North Vietnamese illegally introduced over 350,000 men into the South… they sent in the most modern equipment in massive amounts.., they continued to receive large quantities of supplies and arms from their friends. In the face of this situation, the United States – torn as it was by the emotions of a decade of war – was unable to respond…”