What are the symptoms?
Dr Thomas said the symptoms of vaccine-induced clotting, as they were known so far, included:
- Severe gut pain commencing 4–20 days after receiving the vaccine
- A persistent headache unresponsive to paracetamol
- A general feeling of systemic unwellness beyond four days after the vaccination
- Stroke-like symptoms, seizures or vomiting
He said the stroke-like symptoms, also known as a transient ischaemic attack, could feel like:
- Transient loss of speech or balance
- Weakness on one side of the body
- Blurred vision
Thomas said platelets had been activated by antibodies in a rare
phenomenon where the body thought they were bad because they were
sitting next to some of the vaccine, which resembled a foreign pathogen.