The challenging climate problem
I give here an overview of the situation so that readers can make reasonable objective judgement on the current hysteria.
1. Planet Earth evolved over billion years to its current state.
2. It had gone through various changes in climate from many causes: Gravitation energy released by its formation, heat released from spontaneous nuclear fission reaction in its core, local changes in its magma circulation, volcanic eruptions, solar irradiation with fluctuation due to non-uniform distribution of land water on its surface, solar cycles, changes in earth orbit and rotation, occasional meteoric strikes, appearance of coevoluting organisms (like deep sea organisms with chemosynthesis, then cyanobacteria, then photosynthesizing plants,…), etc …
3. Researchers have tried to untangle various causes and effects on the weather records of the earth.
4. Researchers have come to some important discoveries: The earth had gone through 4 eons with the evolution of human arising in the very last moment. The climate change caused by a meteor had created favourable environment for mammals to evolve and overtook the descendants of dinosaurs.
5. Researchers found that consecutive phases of evolution of various organisms (pioneering organisms relying on chemosynthesis, then cyanobacteria, etc…) on earth create and depend on minor or minute components (oxygen 21% v/v, CO2 0.04% v/v, water nearly 1% v/v) of the gas mixture on the atmosphere of the earth. In other terms the organisms form and maintain their own ecosystems.
6. It is obvious to everyone that our life depends on water vapor even though its variable maximum concentration is only from 1% at 10°C to 19% at 60°C.
7. Climate researchers had pinpointed CFC used in early air-conditioners as a climate destabilizer and the World had come to an unanimous decision to ban it.
8. From the 1980, climate researchers suspected that the minute component CO2 is in an equilibrium state created by living organisms onEarth until it was upset by the Industrial Revolution.
9. It is clear that human life and civilization is interwoven in the CO2 cycle. Researchers suspect that our very own civilization is complicit in the destabilization of the CO2 in the atmosphere: Our extraction of carbon energy, our agriculture and even our very own metabolism.
9a. We are extracting our energy for comfortable living by burning Carbon, Hydrocarbon which have accumulated naturally over millienia in the crust of the earth. The burning produces CO2 which may upset the already delicate balance of CO2 in the atmosphere.
9b. Our agriculture and our pollution with polymerized hydrocarbon destroy many net carbon capturing mechanisms in the planet.
9c. Our ever increasing population and its activities will finally destabilize the delicate feedback mechanisms which kept the Earth in its habitable temperature range.
10. Everyone see that the situation cannot keep going on but people are bitterly fighting to impose their own contradictory theories and solutions.
11. Some theories say that climate destabilization is an urgent problem: Sea level is rising, glacier is melting, the weather is more violent, species are disappearing…
12. Conservative factions (which include nationalists) want to keep burning naturally accumulated Carbon and Hydrocarbon while working out any solution. Nationalists fear retreading the path of American and Australian Natives who successfully protected their environment but lost their whole territories.
13. Leftists want to quickly stop all CO2 producing processes within 10 years even at the risk of causing social chaos. This is on top of their objection to nuclear energy, rejection of control on human population, objection to “inhumane” birth control policies in poor countries, call to distribute energy based life comforts to poor countries, call to intervene at all costs to stop natural consequences to irresponsible policies and also call for abolition of national borders which encourage responsibilities.
14. Real achievable policies would have to be somewhere between 12 and 13.
15. Some countries want to avoid the problem of 9a by using only nuclear energy, others want to quickly establish solar and wind energy farms to replace fossil power stations. Setting up solar and wind energy on earth surface will inevitably lead to territorial expansion, weather modification and territorial wars.
16. It may be necessary to set up solar energy collectors in space and beam down energy to earth but this method requires advanced technology and international cooperation on where the solar collectors can be placed and how to safely beam energy down to earth.
17. To avoid the problem of 9b, nations have to stop the wasteful, polluting practice of overproduction of plastic items looking for legitimate uses.
18. Some groups even advocate changes to agricultural practices and human diets: Eating insects instead of animal meat and sea food to avoid the problem 9b.
19. Some groups advocate still burning fossil fuels but send all CO2 so produced into the hot mantle of the earth to have all Carbon locked up there again (hoping that Oxygen alone would be released back into the atmosphere through some still to be devised mechanisms). Essentially they want to extract only hydrogen from hydrocarbon for use and carry out fully sealed, underground burning of carbon from fossil fuels. The question is would that be possible and would the geology degrade.
20. There are peripheral questions on technology for energy storage. It can rely in various technologies: Lithium batteries, reversible hydroelectric dam systems, hydrolysis/fuel cell systems, thermal storage systems using liquid air, sodium hydride cycles, or any other true storage system that can go full closed cycles.