Israel to simulate attack on Iran – media
The drills over the Mediterranean Sea will begin on May 29 during the fourth and final week of the month-long exercises.
light of growing uncertainty regarding a return by Iran to the 2015
nuclear deal, amid long-stalled negotiations with the United States, the
Israel Defense Forces in the past year has ramped up its efforts to
prepare a credible military threat against Tehran’s nuclear facilities,” the newspaper said.
to the newspaper, a potential strike by Israel on Iran poses several
challenges for the IAF: It has to find ways to shell the Iranian nuclear
facilities that are located deep underground, to somehow bypass “increasingly sophisticated” Iranian air defenses, and to prepare for retaliation by Iran and its allies.
“The upcoming drill is also expected to focus on preparing for and responding to such retaliation,” the report said.
all of the units of the Israel Defense Forces take part in the
‘Chariots of Fire’ exercises. As Israeli Channel 13 reported on Tuesday,
during the Iran-attack simulation, US tankers will practice a midair
refueling of Israeli fighter jets.
Earlier that day, Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz claimed that Iran “stands just a few weeks away from accumulating fissile material that will be sufficient for a first bomb.”
He stressed that Iran continues to “accumulate irreversible knowledge
and experience” in all aspects related to the advanced centrifuges, and
that the price for “tackling the Iranian challenge on a global or regional level” is constantly growing.
Iran has insisted its nuclear program is solely for peaceful purposes.
President Ebrahim Raisi had previously warned Israel that his country’s
military would strike “the center of the Zionist regime” if Tel Aviv
made “the tiniest movement” against Iran.
Meanwhile, talks aimed at restoring the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan
of Action (JCPOA), known as the Iran nuclear deal, have stalled. Signed
by Iran and the US, UK, Russia, France, Germany, China, and the EU, the
deal proposed Iran sanctions relief in exchange for a halt to its
nuclear program. Former US President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew
from the deal in 2018, claiming that Iran was breaching its
After a year of negotiations in Vienna, a deal
appeared close at hand in February. However, Iran demanded guarantees
from Washington that any future US president would not withdraw from a
new agreement, and asked the US to remove Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary
Guards Corps from its list of terrorist organizations. The US has not
responded to these requests.
“If the US gives its response to
some of the solutions that were proposed, we can be in the position
that all sides return to Vienna,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Monday