…Authored by Mike Shedlock via MishTalk.com, Germany is in a world of hurt over natural gas, the price of electricity, and its energy policy in general. Let’s look at how we got here… EU 0 – Putin 1 The following from Eurointelligence on December 17, emphasis…
On the Finnmark plateau, between Kautokeino and Karasjok, temperatures dropped down to -35°C on Sunday. The forecast for the coming week shows a temperature anomaly for the last days of November of 10°C below the reference period 1961-1990, the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute informs.
Coldest out is Nikkaluokta near Gällivare in Norrbotten with -36°C.
In times of climate change, the current freeze comes in sharp contrast to last fall, when meteorologists reported about the hottest October and early November ever measured, with an average of 6,7°C above normal across the Arctic.
Cold weather even sweeps the coast of northernmost Norway where the Arctic waters are kept ice-free by the warm Gulf Stream. In Kirkenes, on the border to Russia, the thermometer read -25°C on Saturday outside the Barents Observer’s office.
On the Kola Peninsula, Sunday November 28 came with temperatures from -18°C to -30°C the news online Severpost reported.
Further east in the Russian Arctic, quickly accumulating sea-ice on the Northern Sea Route has created a critical situation as a number of ships have been trapped in thick sea-ice for several weeks.
Extreme freeze over northern Scandinavia causes energy prices to soar to a record high. The main reason is high consumption combined with ice formation on rivers with hydropower plants in northern Sweden. The northern regions of Norway and Sweden are closely linked together in the same electricity grid.
Low production in Sweden pushes prices up, also in northernmost Noway. On Sunday, a kWh came with a price-tag of 1,92 kroner/kWh (€0,19/kWh) on the spot market, the highest cost for electricity inside the Arctic Circle since 2010. Current prices are up to 10 times higher compared to the average daily over the three first weeks of November.
Comment by tonytran2015: It is routine to liquefy air to extract liquid carbon-dioxide, which can then be hydrogenated to formate and methanol. The questions are how to permanently store carbon in the crust of the earth (in the form of oils or coal or even diamonds), whether we produce other environmental problems, how much green/nuclear energy does it take, at what cost and how long does it take to reverse our past burning of coal and oil which had been accumulated over millions of years. Is it easier to cover the tropical surface with some reflective layer?
… The proposed plant would remove up to one million tonnes of CO2 every year –
the same amount taken up by around 40 million trees.
The extracted gas could be stored permanently deep under the seabed off the Scottish coast…
…But some of the world’s biggest coal-dependent countries, including
Australia, India, China and the US, did not sign up to the pledge….
The challenging climate problem
I give here an overview of the situation so that readers can make reasonable objective judgement on the current hysteria.
1. Planet Earth evolved over billion years to its current state.
2. It had gone through various changes in climate from many causes: Gravitation energy released by its formation, heat released from spontaneous nuclear fission reaction in its core, local changes in its magma circulation, volcanic eruptions, solar irradiation with fluctuation due to non-uniform distribution of land water on its surface, solar cycles, changes in earth orbit and rotation, occasional meteoric strikes, appearance of coevoluting organisms (like deep sea organisms with chemosynthesis, then cyanobacteria, then photosynthesizing plants,…), etc …
3. Researchers have tried to untangle various causes and effects on the weather records of the earth.
4. Researchers have come to some important discoveries: The earth had gone through 4 eons with the evolution of human arising in the very last moment. The climate change caused by a meteor had created favourable environment for mammals to evolve and overtook the descendants of dinosaurs.
5. Researchers found that consecutive phases of evolution of various organisms (pioneering organisms relying on chemosynthesis, then cyanobacteria, etc…) on earth create and depend on minor or minute components (oxygen 21% v/v, CO2 0.04% v/v, water nearly 1% v/v) of the gas mixture on the atmosphere of the earth. In other terms the organisms form and maintain their own ecosystems.
6. It is obvious to everyone that our life depends on water vapor even though its variable maximum concentration is only from 1% at 10°C to 19% at 60°C.
7. Climate researchers had pinpointed CFC used in early air-conditioners as a climate destabilizer and the World had come to an unanimous decision to ban it.
8. From the 1980, climate researchers suspected that the minute component CO2 is in an equilibrium state created by living organisms onEarth until it was upset by the Industrial Revolution.
9. It is clear that human life and civilization is interwoven in the CO2 cycle. Researchers suspect that our very own civilization is complicit in the destabilization of the CO2 in the atmosphere: Our extraction of carbon energy, our agriculture and even our very own metabolism.
9a. We are extracting our energy for comfortable living by burning Carbon, Hydrocarbon which have accumulated naturally over millienia in the crust of the earth. The burning produces CO2 which may upset the already delicate balance of CO2 in the atmosphere.
9b. Our agriculture and our pollution with polymerized hydrocarbon destroy many net carbon capturing mechanisms in the planet.
9c. Our ever increasing population and its activities will finally destabilize the delicate feedback mechanisms which kept the Earth in its habitable temperature range.
10. Everyone see that the situation cannot keep going on but people are bitterly fighting to impose their own contradictory theories and solutions.
11. Some theories say that climate destabilization is an urgent problem: Sea level is rising, glacier is melting, the weather is more violent, species are disappearing…
12. Conservative factions (which include nationalists) want to keep burning naturally accumulated Carbon and Hydrocarbon while working out any solution. Nationalists fear retreading the path of American and Australian Natives who successfully protected their environment but lost their whole territories.
13. Leftists want to quickly stop all CO2 producing processes within 10 years even at the risk of causing social chaos. This is on top of their objection to nuclear energy, rejection of control on human population, objection to “inhumane” birth control policies in poor countries, call to distribute energy based life comforts to poor countries, call to intervene at all costs to stop natural consequences to irresponsible policies and also call for abolition of national borders which encourage responsibilities.
14. Real achievable policies would have to be somewhere between 12 and 13.
15. Some countries want to avoid the problem of 9a by using only nuclear energy, others want to quickly establish solar and wind energy farms to replace fossil power stations. Setting up solar and wind energy on earth surface will inevitably lead to territorial expansion, weather modification and territorial wars.
16. It may be necessary to set up solar energy collectors in space and beam down energy to earth but this method requires advanced technology and international cooperation on where the solar collectors can be placed and how to safely beam energy down to earth.
17. To avoid the problem of 9b, nations have to stop the wasteful, polluting practice of overproduction of plastic items looking for legitimate uses.
18. Some groups even advocate changes to agricultural practices and human diets: Eating insects instead of animal meat and sea food to avoid the problem 9b.
19. Some groups advocate still burning fossil fuels but send all CO2 so produced into the hot mantle of the earth to have all Carbon locked up there again (hoping that Oxygen alone would be released back into the atmosphere through some still to be devised mechanisms). Essentially they want to extract only hydrogen from hydrocarbon for use and carry out fully sealed, underground burning of carbon from fossil fuels. The question is would that be possible and would the geology degrade.
20. There are peripheral questions on technology for energy storage. It can rely in various technologies: Lithium batteries, reversible hydroelectric dam systems, hydrolysis/fuel cell systems, thermal storage systems using liquid air, sodium hydride cycles, or any other true storage system that can go full closed cycles.
21. Parasites and their corrupt politician mates want to confuse the issues and make their quick bucks at the expense of society. There will be endless claims on urgency and on “green”, quick fix solutions to the climate problem. These claims are made to divert undeserved subsidies from society to parasitic organizations but often offer non-effective solutions.
By Ronald Stein ~
Under Biden’s plan to rid America of fossil fuels,
such a plan would eliminate the medical industry that is totally
reliant on the products made from petroleum derivatives, and eliminate
oil-based fertilizers to grow the crops that feed the 8 billion on
planet earth. Surprisingly, Biden must be oblivious to the consequences
of his plan as efforts to cease the use of oil could be the greatest threat to civilization, not climate change.
Biden supports the end of fracking, oil exploration,
and oil importing which cuts off the supply chain of crude oil to
refineries. Without any crude oil to manufacture, elimination of the
supply chain to the 131 operating refineries in the U.S. would eliminate that manufacturing sector.
…At least 80 percent of humanity, or more than 6 billion in this world cannot subsidize themselves out of a paper bag as they are living on less than $10 a day.
To reduce emissions in the developing countries that control most emissions, the wealthy countries would need to step up and subsidize
electricity generation from breezes and sunshine, to replace more than 3,000 coal fired power plants in developing countries like China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Africa, and Vietnam with billions of people seeking affordable electricity.
…China’s carbon emissions are vast and growing, dwarfing those of other countries.
Experts agree that without big reductions in China’s emissions, the world cannot win the fight against climate change…
…French energy giant TotalEnergies SE orchestrated a “carbon-neutral” liquified natural gas shipment with China National Offshore Oil Corp (Cnooc) last September. The math behind the carbon-neutral fuel “involved googling and guesswork,” according to Bloomberg. An insider who spoke with Bloomberg said junior traders…